eHarmony is a major online dating website. It was initiated by a clinical psychologist named Dr. Neil Clark Warren. His goal was to improve the approach that people took to find love. With millions of members and a comprehensive matching and profile system, there are multiple opportunities to find compatible matches.
While the US is a major focus for eHarmony, there are members distributed all over the world. This helps to increase the chances of meeting matches. However, you can narrow down your matches to those that live within a certain proximity to make it easier to find people who you can easily go on real-life dates with.
Who Is eHarmony For?
eHarmony is designed for those who are seeking a long-term relationship that will eventually lead to marriage. While it is possible to find people seeking a more casual partnership, the primary purpose of this site is to find your soulmate.
The algorithm is designed to ensure that people are a good match with each other. It is more extensive than many other dating sites because it serves to thoroughly vet members. Once you finish filling out the required information, the system matches you with those who you are most likely to have some chemistry with to increase the chances of meeting someone you will like.
While compiling the data for this eHarmony review, we learned that there are over 66 million registered users located all over the globe. Approximately 29 million people from the US are registered users of eHarmony.
While the US is where the majority of members are located, eHarmony is available in more than 200 countries. No matter which country users are from, the majority of people join this website in hopes of finding a partner for marriage. Most of the members on this site have a stable lifestyle and they are educated.
The male to female distribution is mostly even. This website is comprised of approximately 53 percent men and 47 percent women. Due to this ratio, it is relatively easy for both genders to find plenty of compatible members to talk to.
eHarmony is a very active online dating website. Every week, an estimated 16 million people are active. This helps to increase the chances of members responding when you send them a message.
How Much Does It Cost To Join eHarmony?
When you decide to upgrade to a paid subscription to eHarmony, you have three choices, including:
- The Premium Extra subscription gives you access to the site for a full 12 months. You will prepay the full 12 months in advance. It breaks down to $28.95 a month.
- The Premium Plus subscription gives you access to the site for a full six months. You will prepay the full six months in advance. It breaks down to $41.95 a month.
- The Standard Lite subscription gives you access to the site for three months. You will prepay the full three months in advance. It breaks down to $59.95 a month.
When your subscription is set to expire, you have the choice to let it renew automatically or you can cancel it. Make sure that you pay attention to the cancel date or else you will be renewed automatically.
As part of the matching process, you will answer a questionnaire. It is important to answer these questions honestly since they play a major role in the matches that you receive each day. You can expect to spend about 10 minutes tackling this part of the sign-up process.
eHarmony looks at multiple dimensions of compatibility and it takes a person’s psychology to help to make good matches. There are staff members with PhDs that work to ensure that the questions remain relevant and that they are going to lead to compatible matches.
The site does not share the details about their matching algorithm because they do not want it copied. However, they do state that they use statistical models to determine which people are likely to be the most compatible.
A variety of rules and models are used to create a comprehensive algorithm that fully explores all of the answers that people provide when they are answering the questions. From here, the site is able to essentially sift through members and make connections with people who are statistically likely to enjoy each other’s company.
eHarmony has extensive member profiles. In addition to the typical information that you find on online dating profiles, this site also has unique elements that make it easier to learn about a person’s attitude and character.
Once you create your profile on eHarmony, it is possible to make changes as things in your life evolve. This will help to ensure that you are always providing the site with the most relevant information about you and the type of partner you are looking for.
There are several different sections to the profiles. This makes it easier to find the exact information about a person that you are looking for.
You will fill out the basics like your physical appearance, political views and whether you want to have kids. Information about your education, how friends describe you and the things you are thankful for are also available to fill out completely.
Once you finish all of this information, you can look at additional questions and answer them to give other users more information about yourself. After you complete all of the necessary information on your profile, it is time to upload photos. The site recommends a headshot, a body shot and at least one additional photo of yourself.
How Do They Handle Online Safety?
eHarmony has a specific team of people that work to vet profiles so that any that appear suspicious can be removed from the website. This is referred to as the Trust and Safety team.
All members have the option to report another member who is making them uncomfortable. On all profiles, there is a link that states “Suspicious Profile.” Just click on this to let the site know that a specific profile needs to be evaluated.
All of the reports sent to eHarmony are reviewed by real people on the Trust and Safety team. This ensures that bad behavior and profiles do not slip through the cracks.
You can also take advantage of the website’s RelyID service. This allows them to verify your identity so that other eHarmony members know that you are a real person.
eHarmony boasts that they are responsible for many marriages. However, before taking the time to sign up on this dating site, you want to learn more about its potential for success to determine if it is the best choice for you to find love.
The following statistics are associated with eHarmony:
- Within a year of joining the site, 69% of men and 71% of women meet their spouse
- Each day, about 15 million matches are made
- Approximately 4% of US marriages happen due to this dating site
- More than 600,000 couples who met on eHarmony have gotten married
- While the national average divorce rate in the US is about 50%, among eHarmony couples, it is only 3.86%
The eHarmony app is available to people who have Android and Apple smartphones and tablets. You can go into the respective app store and download the eHarmony app for free.
Once you download the app, if you already have an eHarmony account, you just need to login to use all of the features. All of the features that you use on a desktop computer are available on the app.
The mobile interface looks almost exactly like the interface that you see on the desktop site. This ensures that it is easy to navigate since you will not have to learn how to use two different interfaces.
The eHarmony app has very minimal ads. You do not have to worry about them covering up any of the features on the app.
When you login to the app, if you are a free member, you will still have limited access to the site’s features. For example, you will still notice that the photos that people upload are still blurry. You can choose to use the app or the desktop website to upgrade your membership to see pictures or to use any of the other extended features.
The features that are available depend on the level of membership that you choose.
The following are free features:
- You can register for the website and create your profile
- Look at the profiles of other members
- Use your favorite’s list to add members that you find interesting
- If a member interests you, you can send them a wink
- The site generates five questions that you can send to other members
- Check out potential matches that fall outside your preferences
With a paid membership, you get access to additional features, including:
- Check out the photos that people upload on their profiles
- Know which site members have looked at your profile
- Anonymously browse other people’s profiles so that they are not notified that you checked them out
- Get notified when another member adds you to their favorite’s list
- Take advantage of unlimited messaging
- Safely talk to other members via telephone without them getting your phone number with the Secure Call feature
- On average, a new couple is matched on this website every 14 minutes
- Approximately 30% of eHarmony users are ages 18 to 24
- Approximately 15% of the site’s users have a graduate degree
- The website is about 77% Caucasian
- A survey in 2018 stated that eHarmony is the most trusted dating website
- Approximately 45% of the site’s users have a bachelor’s degree
Pros And Cons
- This website is very active with millions of members
- Its matching system is effective for finding compatible members
- The communication process is guided to make talking to someone new easier
- This site has very extensive profiles
- Customer service is always available to offer help
- There is a strong emphasis on personal compatibility
- This dating site is a bit more expensive than many other services
- The search tools are rather limited